Sunday, January 4, 2015

The story of Jack Frost

I am in the midst of the 12 holy nights. This winter break I am grateful that  I have  had time to go inward and reclaim stillness that was shaken by the Advent season. I am also grateful that while regaining purpose and stillness I was able to accomplish many projects and be present with my family. Now my mind returns to the Nursery. 

 Though there has been no snow to speak of as yet in Philadelphia, King Winter is in the land. I went through my notes from last year to see what if any I will rekindle and bring to the children. The making of pinecone birdfeeders still resonates with me. Starting end of this week or beginning of next week we shall roll some pinecones in sun nut butter and birdseed. I think this year I will string them up near our windows outside to perhaps see some of the wildlife coming to snack. Circle songs will be full of images of King Winter, Jack Frost and crystalline snowflakes. I just cobbled together this story of Jack Frost:

King Winter now is in the land he reigns with cold and freezing hand.

In the days long ago, many moons before this one, King Winter had alot of work to do.  He not only sent father sun to the other side of the world, but painted doors and windows with frost..white white frost.  He pinched noses and toes and gave cheeks a rosy glow.   But after many long years King Winter tired of this work.  
oh little mouse, little mouse..come to me.

King WInter’s favorite pet mouse, Snufkin ran up his leg.
Yes, king WInter. You called.  And King WInter gave Snufkin an important job to do.  Snufkin scurried and scurried all the way to the village at the end of the world.  there he sat down beside an old tree and waited.  Soon, as King WInter had told him, a boy named Jack came along.  He was a pale boy, with silver hair and white pale skin. He had no parents and was alone in the village  he was small for his age as he was often sick.  He sat down by the tree and admired a blue flower there.  Oh what a pretty flower you are.  Just then snufkin said, dear boy I see that you like that flower.  oh yes said the boy, but soon it will be covered with ice and snow and will be no more.  The mouse touched Jack’s finger with his little tail and jack felt a funny feeling in his finger.  What have you done to me little mouse?  Touch the flower with your finger now, Jack.  Jack did..and the flower became encased in ice.. he touched the tree and the branches were covered in ice. He ran through the village touching windows and doors and they became white with frost.


Jack didn't feel sick anymore, he didn't feel chilly anymore.  and as he leapt into the air he found he could fly and with little Snufkin he flew all the way back to King WInter’s Castle.  

Now dear boy, Jack, said King Winter.  I shall care for you.  You are a son to me and together we shall make the world a  beautiful wintry place for a time until Lady Spring comes.
and you shall now be call Jack Frost…...

King Winter now is in the land, he reigns with cold and freezing hand.  He makes Jack frost touch nose and toes, and gives our cheeks a rosy glow…..

Jaaaaaaaack Froooooost


Circle songs for the next week or two will be:

Jack Frost
Jack Frost
Came in on a winter’s night

Jack Frost
Jack Frost
Painted all the windows white

Jack Frost
Jack Frost
Leaving diamonds in the lane

Jack Frost
Jack Frost

Jaaaaaaack  Froooooooossssst

The winter tells us little bulbs
To tuck our heads in so
So we don’t need to shiver
When the cold winds blow
Cradled cozily, cradled deep
The seeds and bulbs are fast asleep.

Resting Song:  
Snowflakes so white
in the darkness so bright
See how they’re dancing singing
Flitting and flinging flinging
Snowflakes so white
in the darkness so bright


Please forgive my lack of references. The snowflake song, I believe, is from Wilma Ellerseik. Jack Frost and the Little bulbs might be from Gateways. The story I thought up, but I do believe it has some shades of Tolkein's , Farmer Giles of Ham in there. The beginning phrase of the story..King Winter now is in the Land.. is also I believe, from Gateways. (And of course, the name Snufkin is from Moomintroll)

Feel free to use these with your class, or to use them as a springboard for your own imagination!

Stay Warm, get enough sunshine exposure and blessings on your work.

P.S. In a later post, I'll show the puppet set up

No comments:

Post a Comment