Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 10: Bees

This post is for the week of August 22. MA and NA two sisters that I have sat for many times in the past came this week on Monday and Tuesday. MA is five and NA is three. Curtis is very used to playing with them and truly enjoyed their company. NA spent a year in the Nursery program at school with M, the two year old girl, so they enjoyed playing together as well. R did not join us until Tuesday afternoon this week. Monday the 22nd, I turned 40 years old. This is an exciting milestone for me. I am actually quite content at reaching this age. My dear, friend and neighbor, Kate invited me and the Curtii over for "breakfast for dinner.". That was really sweet of her as Big Curt and I are really not good at throwing birthday parties. Tuesday, the 23rd was interesting because Philadelphia was hit with the effects of a 5.5 earthquake based in Virginia. I was sitting with the children at the dining table and we were having lunch. We didn't feel the earthquake at all. I just heard the kitchen door jiggle a bit..as if someone was repeatedly pulling on the door handle. I remember wondering out loud who was messing with the door. I had no idea until much later that there was an earthquake. How strange. It seems some people felt it and others didn't. Feeling the earth's movement was really dependent on location: if you were in a high rise downtown, outside, in a tree, etc, your experience was different. Well, we we all just fine. Earlier that day, M, Curtis, MA and NA and I walked along the stream bed at Carpenter's Woods and collected all the broken glass we could find. It is amazing how much old glass can be found there sometimes..it is definitely old, thick, colored glass. In reading some history of Carpenter's Woods, I have found that there were three buildings at one time in these woods... Can't help but wonder that the glass is sometime of fill leftover from demolishing the buildings. Anyhow, the children and I were focused on the work and we were all in high spirits cleaning up the stream bed. Once again, the afternoon held alot of tree climbing in the courtyard with Urtis and Baigal. How strong they are becoming. Friday, I did not have camp as my sister Kim and I were off to OMEGA Institute in Rhinebeck, NY for Being Yoga Retreat. Kimberly paid all expenses and we had a great time. It was so wonderful on the tenth anniversary of my practicing yoga to attend this retreat and meet some teachers I have been aching to meet for years. I remember starting yoga practice just before my thirtieth birthday, and soon realizing how this practice can help me bea better mother to my Gregory, my oldest boy who was five years old then. Wow, how time flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment